Packing an "Open First" Box
It’s no secret that moving can be overwhelming – After all, even after a seller accepts your offer on a house, you’ll still have a long list of things you need to complete before you move into your new place. Come moving day, you’ll probably be pretty exhausted, and after unloading an entire truck’s worth of your belongings, the last thing you’ll want to is spend 30 minutes searching for your toothbrush. That’s why it’s so important to pack (and label!) a separate “open first” box full of necessities you might need on your first day in your new home. Here are some suggested items to include:
- Cleaning supplies: In an ideal situation your new home will be spotless on move in day, but if it’s not, you’ll want a broom and some wipes handy.
- Tools: It’s smart to pack a hammer, screwdriver, wrench, scissors, and whatever other tools you think you might need.
- Miscellaneous Supplies: Add items like garbage bags or tape to the box. Trust us – you’ll need them.
- Extra clothes: Don’t forget a change of clothes! Make sure they’re comfortable and easy to move around in.
- Toiletries: Everyone is different, but it’s safe to assume that you’ll at least need a toothbrush and deodorant to get through a day or two of unpacking.
- Shower supplies: Pack shampoo, soap, a towel, and don’t forget a shower curtain if you need one.
- Bedding: Whether you’re planning on setting up your entire bedroom on day one or crashing on your couch for a week straight, you’ll want your blankets and pillows to be easily accessible.
- Snacks: Unpacking is a lot of work – you’re going to get hungry, and you probably won’t feel like cooking a gourmet meal. Remember to include some nutritious, easy to eat snacks.
- Medicine: The chances of you getting suddenly sick might be slim, but you should still be prepared with anti-inflammatories or antihistamines just in case.
Moving can definitely be a lot of work, but hopefully this checklist helps your first day in your new place go a little better! Remember, you can find more moving tips here, and you can always reach out to a Veritas Funding Loan Officer if you have any questions about moving or buying a home in general.
Get In Touch
If you're interested in improving your life through homeownership, please provide your contact information below and a Loan Officer will be in contact.